Audiovisual Technology Center (was created as a result of the transformation of the Wroclaw Feature Film Studio (WFF Wroclaw). The institution is currently the successor and keeper of the tradition of the Studio. Wrocław Feature Film Studio has started its activity on the 1st of January 1953, firstly as the Wrocław branch of the Feature Film Studio (WFF Lodz). It gained independence and the name Wrocław Feature Film Studio on the 1st of January 1954. The allotted plan assumed making 3 films a year.
At first the institution had two film studios. The first feature film made in the WFF-Wroclaw was the drama „Not far from Warsaw” (1954), directed by Maria Kaniewska and starring Urszula Modrzyńska and Ludwik Benoit. In the second half of the sixties the facility had undergone a complex expansion. In 1975 the biggest, 3-acre wide sound stage was modernized. During that period the production capacity of WFF increased to 16 films a year. The Wroclaw Film Studio offered filmmakers full technological and production support – from sound stages, sound recording studios, an editing studio and prop building section, to one-of-a-kind sceneries of Wrocław. The location od the Wroclaw Feature Film Studio was beneficial for the artistic value of any undertakings realised here, since it was very attractive for film-makres to shoot Polish films in Polish Wroclaw.
Renowned polish film directors have made their debut feature-length films in Wroclaw, among them Andrzej Wajda („A Generation”, 1955 r.), Kazimierz Kutz („Cross of Valor”, 1959 r.) and Roman Polański (the Oscar-nominated „Knife in the Water”, 1961 r.). Many exceptional filmmakers have created their most important films in the WFF, such as Wojciech Jerzy Has („The Saragossa Manuscript”, „How to be loved”, „The Doll”, Agnieszka Holland („Sunday Children”, „Screen Tests”, „A Lonely Woman”), Andrzej Wajda („Ashes and Diamonds” with the unforgettable creation of Zbyszek Cybulski), Sylwester Chęciński (the most famous polish comedies „Our Folks”, “Take it easy”, „Love or leave”) and Stanisław Lenartowicz („Giuseppe in Warsaw”, „The Diary of Mrs Hanka”).
During the years of its activity, the WFF also offered filming services for foreign producers due to its high production capacity. It took part in projects undertaken by the film companies in Łodz and Warszawa and cooperated with television centers throughout the country. In the eighties the WFF was a shareholder in a partnership producing animated films named Hanna-Barbera Poland.
In the 57 years of its activity, the Wroclaw Dream Factory let out around 500 films, which at the time made up 25% of all movies made in Poland after World War II. The WFF officially ceased its activity on the 9th of November 2011. By the decree of the Minister of Culture and National Heritage it was converted to Audiovisual Technology Center.